A laggy webcam stream usually means that you only get the 1-frame-per-10-seconds streaming, not the 25 fps premium streaming.
If you have a Free account
Webcam streaming for Free account is up to 1 frame per 10 seconds. Also the streaming stops when the printer is not printing. If the streaming is significantly slower than that frame rate, please submit a bug report.
If you have a Pro account or are in the free-trial period
There are several reasons why you may be getting laggy webcam streaming even if you have upgraded to the Pro plan.
1. OctoPrint has NOT been restarted.
This is the most common cause of not getting premium webcam streaming right after you upgrade to Pro. This is also the easiest to solve.
Sometimes restarting OctoPrint is not enough. Try to reboot your Raspberry Pi in that case. If even that fails, try to unplug Raspberry Pi's power supply, wait for 30 seconds, and plug it back in.
2. You are not using a Raspberry Pi.
Premium video streaming requires Raspberry Pi to work. It is well tested on Raspberry Pi 4B, Raspberry Pi 3B/3B+, and Zero/Zero W.
3. Chrome browser is acting up
4. The Raspberry Pi doesn't have solid internet connection
The most common connection problem TSD users run into is: the Raspberry Pi is located too far from the Wifi router to have a solid internet connection.
The check if this is the case for you, you can temporarily move Raspberry Pi closer to Wifi router to see if the webcam stream becomes smoother.
The best option to give Raspberry Pi a solid connection is to connect it through ethernet cable.
Also, if you are using regular Cat5 cable for your Pi, or between your modem and Wifi router, it could be the bottle neck. Swap it to a Cat5e cable to see if it makes a difference (Pro's tip from Aaron).
5. The webcam is not supported.
TSD webcam streaming is well tested and known to work on any Pi Camera (genuine or off-market), as well as USB webcams that are relatively new. For details see webcam compatibility list.
6. You did not install OctoPrint from an OctoPi image, or your OctoPi version is too old.
We strongly recommend you to flash your Pi with the official OctoPi image. Premium webcam streaming may not work if you flashed your Pi with:
- a Raspbian image and custom-installed OctoPrint;
- an OctoPi version that is older than 0.15.0;
- an OctoPi release candidate (RC) version;
- or an OctoPi pre-release version.
7. Your phone doesn't support the streaming protocol.
Under the hood TSD uses H.265 over WebRTC to stream the video. That's why it can stream at such a high frame rate without overloading the weak CPU in Raspberry Pi.
However, because this streaming protocol is quite new, it's not supported in all phones yet. Here is how you can determine if your phone supports TSD video streaming:
iPhone with iOS 11+. If you have an iPhone, you are in luck as the support for WebRTC is solid. The video streaming works on any iPhone or iPad that can be upgraded to iOS 11 or above.
Android phones... The support of WebRTC on Android devices is a lot more complicated. Here is the rule of thumb:
- Phones that run Android 9+: Mostly supported. A notable exception is Huawei phones. Premium webcam streaming doesn't work on any Huawei phones, including their latest flagship phones.
- Phones that run Android 8.x: Maybe. You can try it to see if it works.
- Phones that can't be upgraded to Android 8.0. No. :(
To check if this is the cause of the laggy streaming, try to load the page on a computer. If you are getting a smooth 25 fps video stream on your computer but not your phone, your phone unfortunately doesn't support the streaming protocol.
8. When everything fails...
If none of the situations above applies to you and you are still not getting premium video streaming, please email us. If you have the Pro plan we confirm that the premium webcam streaming doesn't work for you, you are not completely out of luck - we will give you 300 Detective Hours each month to compensate for the situation.