Currently The Spaghetti Detective only works with OctoPrint (it's on our roadmap to support other platforms such as Duet3D).
Before you start, make sure:
- OctoPrint is installed and set up correctly. The easiest way to set up OctoPrint is to get a Raspberry Pi and follow this guide.
- A webcam is set up for your printer and connected to OctoPrint. Joe Mike Terranella has an excellent video for it.
- There is sufficient lighting to illuminate the printing area of your printer. If your printer is in a lighted room, you are probably fine. If you'll print with light off, you will need to make sure the printing area is illuminated when your printer is printing. A LED strip or small LED lamp will do the trick.
Step 0: Install
Access Anywhere - The Spaghetti Detective plugin in OctoPrint.
- Go to your OctoPrint page. Open OctoPrint settings page by clicking the wrench icon. On the settings page, click "Plugin Manager", then "Get More...".
- Type "The Spaghetti Detective" in the box, you will see "Access Anywhere - The Spaghetti Detective" plugin. Click "Install". OctoPrint will ask you to restart after the plugin is successfully installed.
- After OctoPrint is restarted, you will see a wizard page. Click on "Sign up an account". It'll open a new browser tab for the next step.
Step 1: Sign up The Spaghetti Detective account.
- In the new browser tab, sign up with your email, Google or Facebook account.
Step 2: Add a new printer.
- Once you are logged in, click "Add Printer".
- Give your printer a name, and leave other settings in their default values. Then click "Next". You will see a screen showing how you can install TheSpaghettiDetective OctoPrint plugin. Since you have done it in previous step, click "Next" again to skip it.
- Copy the token to the clipboard. Now switch back to the browser tab where OctoPrint is open to continue onto the next step.
Step 3: Set up token and confirm printer connection.
- Now we are back to the OctoPrint page. Paste the token you copied from step 2.3 into "Secret Token" box. Click "Test" and you should see "Secret token is valid" message. Now click "Finish" to close the wizard dialogue.
- Go back to The Spaghetti Detective page that you left open in step 2.3, and you should see its status changed from "waiting" to "done". If you don't see the status change within one minute, contact us for help.
- Once you click "done", you will be brought to The Spaghetti Detective's main page. On this page, you can view the real time webcam feed, as well as the gauge that indicates how likely your print is experiencing a problem.
Step 4: There is no step 4. It is this simple.
You are done! Hope it didn't take more than 56 seconds. :)
The Detective will now watch your prints and send you alerts when things go awry. Start printing and enjoying the peace of the mind.
Add a phone number for print failure alerts (optional)
- Click on your name or email at the top-right corner of the page. Click "PREFERENCES" in the drop down menu.
- Scroll down to "SMS" section. Enter your country code and your phone number. Make sure "Alert me via SMS when print failures are detected" is checked.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Save".
The Spaghetti Detective will now send you alerts via text (SMS), as well as email.
Ideally once you have set up The Spaghetti Detective, you can just forget about its existence until it alerts you via email or text for possible print failures. However, since The Spaghetti Detective is still in early stage, it may send you some false alarms. If you want to know more what to expect next, dive deep.